Can You Safely Removing Mold Yourself?

Can You Safely Removing Mold Yourself
When mold is found in your home, you will want to address it ASAP, as long-term mold exposure may lead to respiratory issues and serious health complications. While it’s recommended to hire a reputable mold removal company, some people choose to take on the responsibility of removing mold themselves. This may work in certain cases, but it is not always safe. This guide will teach you when you should or shouldn’t use DIY methods for mold removal.

What Causes Mold?

The leading cause of mold is water damage or excess moisture in your home. Any poorly ventilated or damp area is more likely to develop mold. This often includes your carpet, drywalls, ceiling tiles, roofs, windows, and pipes.  black mold - powerdry

Is Mold Dangerous?

Mold can be dangerous depending on the type of mold and severity of the growth. Most people who are exposed to mold will develop allergy symptoms such as sneezing, coughing, hives, or a worsening of asthma symptoms. However, long-term exposure can lead to serious respiratory issues.

When Is Removing Mold Yourself a Good Idea?

A good way to determine if you should remove mold yourself is to measure the area of mold growth. If the area of the growth is small and on a surface that is simple to clean, you should be okay to do the job yourself with proper precautions. Before removing mold yourself, you will want to be protected from breathing in harmful spores. An N-95 respirator, gloves, and goggles will help you stay safe. Then, you will want to determine if you are dealing with mold in the first place as sometimes people mistake mold for mildew. A good way to figure this out is to place a small amount of bleach on the mold spots. If the spots go away, you are dealing with mildew and not mold. If the spots do not go away, you’re dealing with mold. When removing mold yourself, you will first want to dry the area completely. You can then use water, detergent, and a scrub brush to scrub the mold off of the affected area.

When Is DIY Mold Removal Not Such a Good Idea?

Here are some signs that DIY mold removal is not the best idea and that you should hire a mold remediation company instead:
  • The area of your mold growth is over 3 by 3 feet
  • Mold has resulted from contaminated water damage
  • Mold is found in a difficult area to gain access to, like the HVAC system, under your carpets, or in your drywall
  • You suffer from allergies, asthma, or other respiratory issues

Mistakes To Avoid While Removing Mold

When Is DIY Mold Removal Not Such a Good Idea

Not Preparing

Always make sure you have all the proper equipment needed before starting the mold removal process. This is especially true when it comes to protective gear.

Not Using the Right Products

You will always want to use products like Borax, detergent, baking soda, and vinegar for your DIY mold removal. Never use bleach other than for testing your mold, as bleach will not fully get rid of the problem.

Not Knowing the Source

Choosing to clean mold without fixing the underlying problem will only be a temporary solution. Get to the bottom of what is causing mold growth in your home or hire a professional company like Power Dry for a mold inspection.

Not Containing the Mold

When cleaning mold yourself, you should always isolate the rest of your house from the area, so the spores do not spread. You should also always be sure to sanitize your hands, and equipment, and wash your clothing.

Call Power Dry for Your Mold Removal Services

If you are a homeowner in need of mold removal and remediation services, Power Dry has got you covered.  Our certified contractors will first inspect your mold growth to determine the severity of the damage. Then, we will work with you from beginning to end using high-quality dehumidifiers and air scrubbers to completely rid your home of any traces of mold. We will also be sure to sanitize the area when our job is complete and finish off with post-remediation testing to ensure your home is safe. If you are interested in our services, give us a call today at (913) 285-8837 or contact us on our website.

What Our Water Damage Customers Are Saying...

Deb K
Deb K
Gardener, KS
Read More
This is the team to get when you have water damage! They showed up within an hour of initial call to analyze and provide plan. They immediately started service after our approval. Every day they called and checked on the drying equipment they set up. They even called Saturday to see if they could stop in on Sunday! Amazing! If you need water removal, this place should be your professionals!
Sharla S
Sharla S
Kansas City
Read More
Power Dry came out within an hour after me calling (it was not an emergency) and provided excellent service. I was very impressed with their professionalism. Highly recommend!
David L.
David L.
Olathe, KS
Read More
I just had a great experience with Power Dry! Their response time was incredibly fast! The work was completed much faster than I expected. Everyone I dealt with was very professional and friendly. The price for their services was more than fair. The quality of their work is great! I highly recommend using Power Dry.
Pat C
Pat C
Kansas City
Read More
Very professional and kind during a stressful time for our family. I hope we don’t need to use their services again, but if we do we will not hesitate to have them help us out again.